Get In Touch
If you have any questions or queries, kindly submit a request to us using the form, and we will get back to you as soon as we can. Meanwhile, happy growing!
DHI Hair Restoration Clinic,
PJS 7 Petaling Jaya 46050
Mon – Sat: 10:00am to 6:00pm
Closed on sunday
KL South Clinic
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes DHI different?
We are an international medical group that specialises in hair loss with over 45 years of experience and university based research.
– Our procedures are 100% done only by medical doctors.
– Our methodology is ISO certified.
– We dare to provide a minimal result guarantee for all our clients.
What is hair made up of?
Hair is made up of Keratin – a fibrous structural protein.
Hair also contains natural oils (lipids) and water. These hair “ingredients” are arranged in 3 primary structures: the cuticle (which is the outermost, shingle-like layer); the cortex (the inside of the hair consisting of bundles of protein filaments); and the medulla (a soft spongy-like core in the centre of the cortex)
What are the 3 growth cycles of hair?
The growth cycle of hair consists of 3 stages:
Anagen – It is the growing period of a hair follicle that typically lasts about 3 to 5 years.
Catagen – At the end of the growth period, hair follicles prepare themselves for the resting phase. This stage of the hair growth cycle usually lasts about 1 to 2 weeks.
Telogen – This is the resting period of a hair follicle. It is usually 3 to 4 months in length and at the end of this period older hairs that have finished their life will fall out and newer hairs will begin to grow.
What is the average percentage of hair in every growth cycle?
The percentage of hair growth in each cycle is:
– Telogen: 10 – 15%
– Anagen: 85 – 90%
– Catagen: < 1%
How many hairs on average to we shed per day?
On average 100 hairs are physiologically shed on a daily basis throughout the human scalp, at random. Certain common events can alter this shedding. For example, during pregnancy more follicles are maintained in the growing phase and there is less shedding than usual.
The Hair cycle is also subject to chronological influences. During the autumn months, it is possible that hair shedding may double, whilst during spring shedding is diminished. Both the duration and the daily growth rate of hair is greater during summer when compared to the winter months. We are able to summarize that the hair cycle consists of three phases, with the following characteristics:
The Anagen Phase – Growth Phase
– Approximately 85-90% of all hair are in the growing phase at any one time.
– It can vary from two to six years.
– Hair grows approximately 10-15cm per year.
The Catagen Phase – Transitional phase
– Takes place at the end of the Anagen phase Lasts around one or two weeks.
– The hair follicle shrinks to about 1/6 of the normal length.
– The lower part is destroyed and the dermal papilla breaks away to rest below
The Telogen Phase – Resting phase
– Follows the Catagen phase and normally lasts about 5-6 weeks.
– At any given instance in time, approximately 10-15% of all hair follicles are in this phase.
– The hair does not grow but stays attached to the follicle.
– The dermal papilla stays in a resting phase below
What are the causes of hair loss in men?
What are the types of Alopecia?
The various types of Alopecia are:
- Androgenetic Alopecia
- Alopecia Areata
- Traction Alopecia
- Scarring Alopecia
- Triangular Alopecia
- Telogen Effluvium
- Loose – Anagen Syndrome
How much does hair grow?
Hair grows approximately 10 – 15cm per year.
In general, the length of any human beings hair is unlikely to grow more than one meter.
Why do people have different types of natural hair colour?
Hair color is the pigmentation of hair follicles due to two types of melanin:
- Eumelanin – pigment which gives Black or Brown colour.
- Pheomelanin – pigment which gives Red colour to the hair.
Why does hair turn grey with age?
Will shaving of hair increase thickness?
How many hairs grow out of each folicle?
How strong is human hair?
Why do women lose a lot of hair after pregnancy?
Is hair quality and the rate of growth the same for everyone?
The hair quality and growth rate highly depends on the race:
- African hair grows more slowly and is more fragile than European hair.
- Asian hair grows the fastest and has the greatest elasticity.
- African and European people are more prone to balding than Asian people.
What is the average number of follicles per sq. cm in adults?
The average number of hair follicles per sq. cm. in adults is
– 20 to 30 yrs – 615/cm2
– 30 to 50 yrs – 485/cm2
– 80 to 90 yrs – 435/cm2